Director of Nursing
Company: Wexford Health Sources, Inc.
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Wexford of Indiana LLC is a member of the Wexford family of
companies: a group of the nation's leading innovative correctional
health care companies. Wexford provides clients with experienced
management; technologically advanced services; and programs that
control costs while ensuring quality of care. For more than two
decades, the Wexford companies have consistently delivered proven
staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health,
pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims
processing, and quality management services. At Wexford of Indiana
LLC, our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a
luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the
corrections environment is our venue.-- We're proud to offer a
competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account POSITION SUMMARY
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Manager, has the
authority, responsibility and accountability for structuring,
comprehensive planning and implementing the Nursing Services
Program that guides the delivery of a quality health care program.
- Supervises all assigned staff nurses and paraprofessional
- Receives and reviews daily outpatient and infirmary
- Manages all infirmary and clinic nursing functions. Acts as a
consultant and/or resource within site to facilitate offender
- Coordinates offender care requirements with other departments
within the facility and the continuity of offender care with
outside health care facilities.
- Provides functional direction and guidance to nursing staff
through on-the-job training and ensures appropriate and quality
orientation for all newly hired staff.
- Participates in planning, priority setting and the development
of policies and procedures for health care activities that are in
compliance with contractual requirements, Department of Corrections
and national standards.
- Coordinates and monitors orientation, in-services and
continuing education within the Division of Nursing Services.
Plans, develops and conducts in-service training classes for
professional and/or paraprofessional patient care personnel.
- Coordinates the development, provision and evaluation of
patient care according to the standards of quality care.
- Notifies the Wexford Health Staffing Department of vacant or
upcoming vacant positions in a timely manner and actively assists
the Staffing Department in the filling of vacant positions.
- Conducts the selection and evaluation of all nursing personnel
and assists administrative staff in personnel functions relating to
- Is familiar with overtime and commodity budgets and works to
remain within budget.
- Notifies Regional Manager of staffing variances related to the
- Obtains approval of Wexford Health Administration and IDOC
prior to exceeding staffing hours as outlined in the Schedule
- Strives to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E and Additional
Services Request (ASR) staffing hours.
- Complies with and enforces Wexford Health/Facility policies and
procedures and ensures subordinate compliance.
- Is familiar with all aspects of the Wexford Health Collective
Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and operates consistent with the
language as interpreted by Wexford Health Administration.
- Ensures the existence of an Infection Control Program and
supervises the activities of the program as well as ongoing
monitoring of the program in compliance with Company/Facility
policies and procedures and community standards.
- Prepares and submits monthly reports as requested by the Health
Care Unit Administrator or Regional Manager.
- Conducts regular meetings with staff as required per
Company/Facility policies to maintain optimal levels of
communication within the Health Care Unit.
- Acts as administrator on call for nursing emergencies or
nursing staff needs.
- Member of the Quality Assurance Committee. Attends Quality
Assurance and Medical Audit Committee meetings as requested.
- Develops and maintains appropriate staffing schedule to ensure
adequate nursing coverage for all shifts in accordance with
contract terms of nursing coverage and the Wexford Health CBA.
Responsible for making changes in time schedules, and granting
special requests for time off, if appropriate.
- Ensures the practice of nursing is consistent with current
standards, and is responsible for level of care provided to
offenders in compliance with IDOC policies and procedures.
- Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between nursing
services, other health care providers, contract services such as
lab and physical therapy as well as Health Care Unit Administrator,
and coordinates such patient care services with other
- Provides guidance to the nursing staff in patient care
problems; delegates responsibility within the scope of the
- Remains visible and is responsive to all medical
- Supports and participates in evaluation designed to improve
work conditions and patient care. Evaluates employee performance
consistent with policies and timelines.
- Participates in community organizations as requested and
maintains good relationships with community organizations.
- Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all
- Is available for conferences on all shifts.
- Counsels nursing personnel in following established
- Ensures all communicable diseases are reported to the
local/state health authorities as appropriate or required.
- Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts,
investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective action
- Reviews all mediation errors, investigates, reconciles and
applies appropriate corrective action if indicated.
- Oversees discharge planning and coordinates the continuity of
offender care with outside health care facilities.
- Responds to offender medical grievances as requested.
- Assesses established policies and reviews policies as
- Receives direction from IDOC personnel as appropriate,
including but not limited to Wardens, Health Care Unit
Administrators (HCUA). Assists HCUA in ensuring that the contract
terms of nursing coverage are met.
- Coordinates special projects as requested by HCUA e.g., nurse
audits, development of nursing policies and procedures, etc.
- Maintains the confidentiality of offender records.
- Approaches change in a positive manner.
- Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical
Director or Regional Manager as appropriate.
- Accepts constructive criticism and maintains professionalism in
stressful situations. The duties and responsibilities outlined
herein are for payroll purposes only; employees may be assigned
other duties as required. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS Standard medical
setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily
interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care
personnel. Job Requirements: -- The following requirements list the
minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and
experience may be accepted. CERTIFICATION: --CPR certification
- Minimum two (2) years nursing experience
- Two (2) years administrative and/or correctional nursing
experience preferred EDUCATION: --Graduate of an accredited nursing
program. Receive relevant communications and updates from our
organization. Share job opportunities with family and friends
through email. Wexford Health participates in the E-Verify program.
Click Here to review the English language version - Spanish
As a qualified individual with a disablity or disabled veteran, you
have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are
unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online
system as a result of your disability. firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: Wexford Health Sources, Inc., Indianapolis , Director of Nursing, Executive , Indianapolis, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!