All work shall adhere to safety standards as described below.
Perform subsurface exploration duties using conventional drilling
or in-situ testing techniques. Drilling may include auger drilling,
mud rotary drilling, air rotary and diamond bit coring techniques.
In-situ testing techniques may include cone penetration testing
(CPT) and seismic cone penetration testing (SCPT) equipment,
pressure meter and other, related apparatus. Work also includes
installation of instrumentation, piezometers and monitor wells.
Work as part of a multiple person team on projects. Field locate
required exploration points and determine elevations of points.
Develop site reconnaissance information. Load soil samples,
exploration tools and instrumentation/well installation tools and
supplies onto trucks or drill rigs. Prepare and review boring logs
using Unified Soil Classification System (USCS) and basic standard
rock classifications and site description forms. Prepares United
States (US) Department of Transportation (DOT) paperwork, as
required. Provide input as to how to best perform exploration
tasks. Report required maintenance to supervisor and perform
maintenance tasks as required.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects.
Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or
concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all
- In charge of two-person crews on projects requiring borings
ranging to depths of approximately 50 feet.
- Assistant CPT/SCPT operator working with Sr. operators.
- Assists in the location of exploration points, including
confirming that all points have been cleared by utility companies
as safe for exploration.
- Drives medium duty straight trucks to various job sites.
Operates and drives all-terrain vehicle-mounted drill rigs.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience or the equivalent in
training and related experience.
- DOT Medical Card
- OSHA 40-Hour Course
- CPR/First Aid Trained
- Valid driver's license with acceptable violation history.
- Valid Class A or B commercial driver's license with acceptable
- Many states require specific driller/well installation
licensure. Where applicable, such licensure is required.
Preferred Certification and Skills:
- In-Situ testing methods (i.e. packer testing, pressuremeter
testing, vane shear testing, instrumentation installation,
- Barge drilling experience
- Angle drilling experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering
firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon
has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in
environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services.
Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150
offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon's growth
is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service
and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in
Terracon's vision of "Together, we are best at people" is
demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits
package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many
programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k)
plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and
various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority,
female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered
for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant
for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion,
national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender, disability, age, or military status.