Laboratory Supervisor (Donor Testing) / 3rd Shift
Company: Versiti Blood Center of Indiana
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Versiti was founded with the belief that together, our blood
centers can better serve patients' urgent need for life-saving
healthcare. We love what we do, and we're looking for passionate
individuals to join the Versiti family. We foster a diverse
environment that affirms each employee's dignity and worth, and we
offer a chance to work with a team of compassionate people who
provide lifesaving blood to our communities on a daily basis.
Laboratory Supervisor, Donor Testing - Full time / Nights
- Supervises daily laboratory testing (and possibly sample
management) personnel to ensure test completion is performed timely
and in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Serves as a resource to all testing lab personnel for
troubleshooting instrument, equipment and/or procedural problems.
Performs waived, moderate and high complexity testing as needed.
Initiates deviations, conducts investigations, identifies root
causes, and assists Director in development of short and long-term
strategies for corrective actions.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES*
* Supervises lab staff to provide day-to-day leadership, manage
performance and complete performance reviews and other supervisory
* Organizes and directly supervises all laboratory activities and
personnel to ensure compliance with all standard operating
procedures and regulations are being followed.
* Monitors daily testing operations to ensure smooth and timely
receipt of test results for all customers.
* Responsible for shift related personnel activities including
coaching, counseling, and setting performance
* Assesses laboratory productivity through personal observations.
Identifies system improvements to promote productivity and assess
* Accurately performs pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic
activities defined by departmental procedure for which the
associate has successfully completed training and for which
competency assessment is current.
* Participates in the training of new and existing staff as needed.
Ensures staff competency assessments are completed in a timely
manner. Performs six-month or annual competency assessments as
* Ensures staff maintains competency on all trained platforms, Lot
Release and Sample Management.
* Schedules staffing for all routine testing and maintenance
* Performs secondary review and quality control of test results.
Ensures results are not transmitted to customers until all QC and
testing results are acceptable.
* Performs data entry accurately and completely as applicable.
Maintains documentation compliant with a cGMP environment.
* Recognizes, documents, reports and resolves discrepant conditions
or problems that may adversely affect the performance or reporting
of test results. Follows departmental procedures and standard
operating procedures whenever test systems do not perform within
the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
* Ensures that all necessary remedial actions are taken and
documented whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's
established policies and procedures.
* Follows the standard operating procedures for specimen handling
and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of
patient/donor test results.
* Documents and investigates deviations. Assists with the
development and implementation of corrective actions to ensure
procedural, instrumentation and personnel issues are addressed to
prevent or minimize recurrence of issues.
* Participates and/or assists in proficiency testing, continuing
education, special projects and validations.
* Ensures adherence to all established departmental and corporate
* Accessible to lab personnel during assigned shift to provide
on-site, telephone or electronic consultation to resolve technical
problems in accordance with established policies and standard
* Complies with all Versiti safety policies and procedures.
* Manages on-call tasks and ensures testing and release of on-call
test results as are completed appropriately.
MT (ASCP) with 6 years clinical laboratory or blood center
experience *or *Bachelors degree in Medical Technology, Biology,
Chemistry, or other applied science and seven years clinical
laboratory or blood center experience required.
One year of supervisory experience and knowledge of blood banking
and/or infectious disease testing preferred. See also New York
State Qualifications (attached). Must be proficient in all
Microsoft Office products
NEW YORK STATE QUALIFICATIONS FOR LABORATORY STAFF
(Equivalent to NY definition of lab supervisor)
1) Master of Science with a major in chemical, physical, or
biological sciences + 7 years clinical lab experience subsequent to
date of graduation
2) Qualifications of a Medical technologist (see a-d below) + 6
years of clinical laboratory experience subsequent to qualifying as
a medical technologist.
a) Completion of a bachelor's degree in medical technology
b) Completion of 90 semester hours (3 years of study), including 16
Bio, 16 Chem, and 3 Math + completion of a 12 month medical
technology certification program
c) Completion of a bachelor's degree in chemical, physical, or
biological sciences + at least one year of clinical lab
d) See additional NY regs for qualifying techs working in the field
of clinical laboratory medicine prior to 1972
3) Experience working as a supervisor at any time between July 1,
1961 and September 1, 1971
Skills and Knowledge
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as Standard
Operating Procedures, safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, and other department manuals.
* Ability to express him/herself clearly and effectively in oral
and written form. They must be able to communicate effectively with
diverse cultures, co-workers, management, vendors and/or customers
as necessary. He or she must be proficient in technical writing and
must demonstrate clear verbal communication skills.
* Able to work efficiently under pressure and time constraints in a
fast paced environment
* Able to manage multiple tasks or projects simultaneously.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive donor and
* Willing to follows universal precautions and protective measures
required by Versiti and outside regulatory agencies for blood
* Willing to participate in professional activities and take
advantage of continuing education opportunities to maintain
expertise in both technical and supervisory skills.
* Maintain knowledge of regulatory requirements and standards
including FDA current Good Manufacturing Practices.
* Be willing to work hours other than those primarily designated in
order to support the department.
* Demonstrate independent decision making and/or conflict
Tools and Technology
The Testing Lab Supervisor must be computer literate and able to
utilize the necessary software and hardware to perform the
functions of the job and access company communications. Experience
with Word, Excel, copier, fax, scanner required. Experience with
Surround, Deviation management software, SOP software and lab
*PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS*
* Clean, climate-controlled laboratory environment. Incumbent may
be exposed to blood or body fluids or be in areas which contain
* Visual acuity and manual dexterity
* Ability to sit or stand for 8-10 hour time periods
* Ability to lift up to 40 pounds alone, over 40 pounds with
assistance for short distances
* Ability to hear high-pitched tones.
*COVID - 19 Vaccination Policy*
All New Employees must be vaccinated from COVID-19. Versiti may
provide a reasonable accommodation to employees unable to receive
the Covid-19 vaccination due to a qualified medical condition or
sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance consistent
with state and federal law. Employees and candidates can apply and
must be approved for an accommodation prior to their hire date.
*What's in it for you?*
* Complete insurance coverage - medical, dental, vision, life
* Full-time and Part-time benefits offered
* 401(k) with company match
* Generous paid time off
* Wellness program
*Our Mission: *
We are Blood Health Innovators who enhance lives through discovery,
diagnosis, and treatment.
*Our Vision: *
We will expand the frontiers of patient health through the
integration of science, medicine, and service.
_Equal Opportunity Employer. This company will provide equal
opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability or veteran status._
_Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions._
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $68,000.00 - $88,000.00 per year
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Disability insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Pet insurance
* Retirement plan
* Tuition reimbursement
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* Night shift
* On call
* Weekend availability
* Signing bonus
All New Employees must be vaccinated from COVID-19..... click apply
for full job details
Keywords: Versiti Blood Center of Indiana, Indianapolis , Laboratory Supervisor (Donor Testing) / 3rd Shift, Other , Indianapolis, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!