Control and Programming Technician
Company: Overton Industries
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Scope:The Controls Technician will be a support position that
utilizes their programming skillset on custom-built manufacturing
equipment controls to include Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC),
Variable Frequency Drives (VFD), and Human Machine Interfaces (HMI)
and associated process controls hardware including hydraulic,
pneumatic, and servo actuated devices. This position supports the
lead controls engineer and other machine assembly staff through
daily programming and design activities. This position will also be
responsible for design, development, and troubleshooting, of custom
programmed machines to make them function per the quoted scope of
work. This position is also responsible for documenting the machine
programs, schematics, and machine operating instructions. This
position will act as a liaison for internal and external resources
and may be required to travel to customer plants for on-site
support. This position reports to the Senior Controls Engineer.
Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Strong project management skills, effective communication
skills, be self-directed, and have the ability to multi-task and
deliver results in a dynamic environment.
- Must be a hands-on person who spends more time on equipment
optimizing and improving existing processes than at their
- Perform Allen Bradley PLC control level issue diagnosis using
ladder logic with Studio 5000, RsLogix500, Factory Talk View HMI,
and Connected Components Workbench. Some level of proficiency for
Omron, Siemens, Mitsubishi, and other control systems could be
- Develop ad-hoc PLC ladder code changes using Rockwell RS Logix
family (5000 preferred).
- Familiarization with A/B PLC processers (CompactLogix,
ControlLogix, and Micro-Logix preferred), input/output modules,
Ethernet I/P and Device Net.
- Support programming of Fanuc robotic actuators and systems as
required on custom automation projects.
- Use AutoCAD (Electrical) to review, develop and maintain
electrical schematic and equipment layout drawings.
- Work with Maintenance, Engineering, IT and Operations to
improve equipment functionality, throughput and uptime.
- Develop training program for improving the maintenance staffs
troubleshooting capabilities on electrical, instrumentation and
control system equipment.
- Document control system and equipment configuration changes and
keep the documentation updated and accessible.
- Perform Preventive maintenance and system management of PLC
systems such as program back-ups, UPS systems, firmware/software
updates, configurable parameter documentation and control
cabinet/wiring termination management, I/O commissioning, updating
electrical schematics, and associated documentation.
- All other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or
similar field of study.
- 1-3 years of control system experience working with PLC based
controls in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Excel,
- Experience in Allen Bradley (A/B) PLC control level issue
diagnosis using ladder logic with Studio 5000, RsLogix500, Factory
Talk View HMI, and Connected Components Workbench.
- Basic AutoCAD (Electrical) work experience on control layout
- Passion for troubleshooting electrical controls and developing
new and innovative ways of utilizing HMI menus and graphics to
enhance and simplify the customer's interaction and operation of
our custom built machines.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize different
projects and workload.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, (written and
verbally) with peers, management, contractors, and vendors.
- Self-motivated and customer centric.
- Demonstrate a very high sense of urgency. Speed to market is
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Must have ability to understand oral and written instructions
- Must demonstrate the ability to work within a team environment
as well as being self-motivated.
- Must be a self-starter and function well with minimal
- Ability to travel to customer plant sites when required for new
equipment installations or other programming related tasks.
- Must have good job performance and attendance records.Physical
- Must be able to physically perform the functions of climbing,
balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking,
hearing, and repetitive motions
- Must be able to work seated using a computer and phone for long
periods of time
- Must be able to work occasional extended hours, such as
overtime and or occasional weekend work when project deadlines
- Must possess visual acuity to document company records
- Continuous walking throughout plant and distribution
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
Keywords: Overton Industries, Indianapolis , Control and Programming Technician, Professions , Franklin, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!